New Year in Sounds – Geoff & Graciela 30 Dec 2016

Crew – Geoff and Graciela

30 Dec – Took the 2pm Interislander ferry to Picton arriving at 6pm. Graciela went to the supermarket for supplies while Geoff waited at the ferry terminal and organised the water taxi to pick us up and deliver us to Halo on the mooring. We took Halo round to the fuel dock and topped up with diesel and water. A friendly couple who have a large motor launch (Mr & Mrs Marton from Palmerston North on boat “Snow Goose”) came round to say hello and after a chat invited us to walk round to their boat to give us some Blue Cod he’d caught that day.

It was getting late so we set off at from Picton at 2040 hrs and sailed round to the Governors Bay arriving at 2130 hrs. Stayed on club mooring for the night rafted up with another yacht “Alouette“, skipper Steve Harper from Christchurch who was with his wife and two kids. They mentioned that wanted a berth in Picton to see the fireworks on 31st but nothing was available. I offered our mooring when he was very excited about and gave us two bottles of excellent wine in return.

31 Dec – After rowing ashore in the dinghy and exploring Governors Bay we set sail for Kaipakirkiri Bay. Departed 1100 hrs and slowly made our way north turning left at Allports Island arriving at Kaipakirkiri South Mooring at 1245 hrs which according to the info is sheltered from N to NW winds. Well the northerly wind developed in the afternoon to gale force at times and we had a rather bumpy night. The problem was that the gusts would blow Halo round in circles on the mooring and then another gust would hit us side-on. Had to pick up plates off the floor a couple of times. New Years Eve but we were pretty tired and didn’t stay up to see the new year in.
1 Jan 2017 – Left Kaipakirkiri Bay at 1030 hrs heading back to Picton. Arrived at Picton at 1120 hrs to find another boat was tied up on our mooring! We came alongside and I boarded the boat to find a guy sleeping in the cabin. He offered a number of weak excuses for his presence and we eventually got rid of him. We rowed the dinghy to the visitors berth and went into town for lunch and a look around.

2 Jan – In the morning we took the water taxi round to Kaipupu Point to visit the wildlife sanctuary. Spent 2 hrs walking round the the peninsula. Saw a blue penguin in one of the boxes. Back in Picton we contacted Rose Prendeville for a catch-up and she invited us round for a BBQ in the evening. Gerard was away sailing. We met up with Rose’s brother Peter and his wife Susan who are building a holiday home in Picton. Had a nice evening and slept the night there.

3 Jan – All set for our Cook Strait Crossing tomorrow!


Comments are closed.

Powered by

Up ↑